June 14, 2010

How Old Is Your Child?

The following is a special post written by our very first
Guest Blogger, Lisa Hopkins


It dawned on me in the last month that referring to my daughter in months (she is 20 months old) was absurd. It sounds stupid. It doesn't seem natural and it's not natural. Was it just b/c I now hit the 20's? Is it the pressure because everyone else does it? Do we think other parents will judge our baby's development if we don't give the exact month? Is it because that's how the pediatrician marks how our baby is growing? Not sure what the answer is but what I do know is saying my daughter is 20 months old sounds STUPID!

Does this aggravate anyone else?

I was at a 2 yr olds birthday party yesterday and this women asked me how old my daughter was.....I respond, 20 months! In this moment I thought to myself, "God, that sounds so dumb. It doesn't even sound like an age!" To be polite I asked how old her daughter was.....her response was, 27 Months!! OK, NOW I HAVE HAD IT! In that very moment I declared that I would no longer refer to my child in months. The line has been drawn. This is crazy! Your child is 27 months? She's not 2? Are you having trouble letting go of the fact you don't have an infant that is 3 months old and thats why you continue to say 27 months? When she turns 3 are you going to say she is 36 months old? How about just have another baby to cure your infant depression and stop referring to your TODDLER as a 27 month old!!!!

So where should the line be drawn? At what "month" does it start sounding ridiculous? In my opinion, I think when they hit 18 months you should say they are 1 1/2. They are still babies at 13, 14 months old that I think as parents we should have the luxury to hold on to saying "months"!!! However, we need to recognize when it starts sounding stupid.....hence the women above telling me her daughter is 27 months!!! End of story!

So with all this said, as of yesterday my daughter is 1 1/2 OR if I am feeling sassy I might say she is "almost" 2 yrs old!!!!!

Cut the chord parents and let go of referring to your toddlers in Months!

No comments: