August 3, 2010

5 Facebook Observations

Now that I’m on Facebook I think its about time I shared my opinion. I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath! Here are 5 Facebook Observations.

1) One of the first pieces of advice I was given after going to the dark side was from the wife and Lisa Hopkins (affectionately referred to as Wife #2 and Guest Blogger ("How Old Is Your child?", June 14, 2010) . It went something like this, “Greco, get a damn profile pic up immediately. Nothing is more aggravating then someone without a picture.” After spending half my work day searching for a picture I find suitable for the public I made the leap and published it. Anyway, I couldn’t agree more with that piece of advice. If you have a FB account then get a damn profile picture up asap. Next…

2) Speaking of profile pics. I’m not sure I agree with someone having a profile pic up and they’re not present. Not sure I approve. I’ll break down the “Suitable” and “Not Suitable” options to make it easy for everyone to understand.

Suitable Profile Pics

- You
- You, Spouse
- You, Spouse, Children
- You, Children

(Note: Notice the trend of “You” in each picture?)

Not Suitable Profile Pics (cue the negative emails…sorry Sis’)

- The Group Photo

Unless you are the only person of that sex present. Even then I’m not sure it’s suitable. Technically you need to be clearly defined in your profile pic and if there are 7 girls or guys standing together it just gets too difficult.

- The Children Only

I get it. Your kids are adorable. Honest. And those who know me know I’m all about the kids but come on. Put the kids photos on your page just not as your profile pic. That’s not who you are…in a literal sense. Since I know some people might say that is who they are. You get what I’m saying…right? I’m not even sure I followed that.

I’m not sure where I currently stand on the “Picture of a Random Object." I think it definitely steers closer to the Not Suitable Profile Pic but how close I’m not sure. Next…

3) I think everyone who puts their birthday down should also have the year as well. It just helps. I know some people don’t like that and I understand. It’d be convenient to know actually how old you are though. Thanks. Next…

4) What came first: Everyone traveling the world or Facebook? I feel like every single person on Facebook has pictures of themselves in far reaches of the world. Its impressive and I’m jealous quite frankly. Did everyone travel this much even when there was no Facebook or did it somehow give you the urge to visit places I can’t spell and/or have never heard of? And how the hell is everyone affording these trips? (Did I mention I was jealous yet?) Next...

5) Let me ask everyone this question – Do you ever tell your significant others you love them in person or is it strictly via Facebook?

"Michelle Smith Greco is so in love with her husband it hurts. I just can't stand how good looking he is and how lucky I am to have him all to myself! Love you!"

So embarassing I know. I guess she can't help herself.

No comments: