June 26, 2012

Tutoring Obsessed


Four bullet-proof topics sure to get my blood boiling even while living in my Abyss of CrossFit Positivity: School Policy, Parenting, Religion & E-Readers.

Thanks to this article on a few “stressed schools” cutting out recess programs I am slowly climbing out of said Abyss.

“Stressed Schools Cutting Recess…”

The world is becoming a standardized test score. It’s becoming percentages. It’s becoming bar graphs and learning curves.

It’s becoming aggravating.

I’m not going to get into the illogical reasoning behind eliminating or decreasing recess in elementary schools. I’d be here all day. What I am going to do is harken back to a conversation about a similar issue I had with my mother about 10 years ago.

Around that time I had been working a lot with kids. I had begun to notice a pattern developing amongst, at least to me, an alarming number of families. It was a pattern that scared me.

Parents were obsessively taking their kids to get extra tutoring after school or after camp.

The tutor service, SCORE, became so damn commonplace to these kids it bordered on abuse...at least in my eyes. I couldn’t help but feel bad for them. They seemingly never got to be kids even though most thought it was normal.

However, their parents were creating robots. They were obsessed with their academic status and achievements in elementary school. They are probably the same parents who put the little green men in their front yard too.

Can you tell it bothered me?

Back to the conversation… I did something I rarely ever did back then and revealed a very real fear of mine. I told her I was afraid of raising a child in this ultra-competitive academic age because I simply do not agree with it. How was I supposed to raise my child without SCORE when all the other parents were?

Would it be unfair to my child? Would raising my future child to appreciate “being a child” and learn the “old fashioned way” be considered bad-parenting?

I’d rather pay $200 a month and take my kid out of school to a baseball game or go camping or do something interesting then pay for extra tutoring. And I got news for ya’, our kids are going to be applying to the same damn colleges in 10 years. And this just in, the college you go to means very little to the job you get.

My mother agreed with my fear. She agreed it would be difficult to maintain your standards and said it was indeed pretty scary. It was a question without a real answer and it still is.

Kids are growing up in front of computers at home, in school, in the car and in the grocery store because, as I’ve been told, “you just wait ‘til you have kids. You’ll see!” As if that’s an answer.

You know the saying, too much of a good thing?

Kids are growing up lazy and uncreative. They’re growing up with no imagination. Parents and school systems are robbing their children of childhood.

Now who’s being unfair?

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Love your kids the best way you know how. Teach them what you believe is right and wrong and hope they don't grow up to be axe murders. The last one has a long story to go with it the rest just do your best.