January 26, 2011

A Book Is a Conquest

Now that the holiday season is officially in our rearview mirror I’d like to discuss something that has been on my mind. It has to do with technology. A certain technology that is beginning to take over a certain landscape of society. I think its only prudent I take my opinion to the blog world so the people closest to me realize the errors of their ways. There are several readers of mine that fall into this category and it’s disturbing. I implore those of you and all others to change your ways since it’s a disturbing and frightening trend that needs to come to an end.

A book should not be read on a mini-computer screen.

A book, my friends, is a conquest. It’s a trophy. It’s a gold-starred book report pinned to your parent’s refrigerator. It’s tangible. It exists in the three-dimensional world.

A book belongs on a shelf not a hard drive. You turn the page. You dont scroll from page to page. You don’t upload or download a book. You stand on line and buy a book. Hell, you even add a book to “Your Cart” and wait 3-5 business days.

This technologically-unnecessary product called The Kindle is bringing our society down one downloaded book at a time. I’m quite certain in my belief that anyone who says they have “read a book” on Kindle has lost grip on reality. You have done nothing of the sort.

The problem lies in the definition of what a “ book” truly is. A “book” is not Chapter 1 – Chapter 20. A “book” is the binding. It’s the cover and the inside flap. It’s the chosen font. A “book” is hard cover or paper back. (preferably hard cover) A “book” sits on your desk silently calling your name. A “book” sits on your nightstand awaiting bedtime. A “book” stands upright on your shelf and reminds you of the time you felt the author was speaking out to you. It reminds you of the time when you found yourself shedding a tear during the climactic chapter.

A “book” is more than words. A “book” is someone’s story. A “book” is someone’s passion. A “book” is A – Z. It's the recipe as well as the finished product.


A “book” and all it’s texture and depth belongs in your hands and not on a computer screen.

A book…everyone…has a soul. Don’t rob yourself of that soul. Appreciate the soul.

…Appreciate the soul.

3 comments:

Matt D said...

It's you against the book...agreed. When you prevail, you own and should proudly display your achievement. Kindles...absolultey, but take it a step further...why anyone would borrow a book from a library is beyond me.

jm said...

I wont ever go digital with my books..I love books, i love how they feel, and how they smell..I like seeing what the font is when I open them, i love using my favorite pen to <>, ****, underline, ? or otherwise mark up my favorite excerpts and pages. My books are part of my leagcy. Nobody after me is going to pick up and my 'kindle' and learn much about me...But my books, yeah, they'll learn plenty..Well written

Phibbles said...

I like the ebook readers. Why? Because I can sell cases to the fools who use them.

Nobody wants to buy bookcovers from us. But a Nook Case or Kindle Sleeve, that is good business!