July 1, 2011

Your Trophy Case of Life


Reading this article is disappointing...

Americans Prefer E-Readers to Tablets (and the Gap is Growing)
By Graeme McMillan on June 29, 2011

Loyal readers of mine are familiar with my past blog, “A Book Is a Conquest”, and if you were to put a gun to my head I’d rank it in the Top 5 All-Time Greatest Blogs Ever Written By Anyone – Not Just Me.

(Yes that’s an actual Category)

What is 20% of society not understanding?

I don’t get it. I fully embrace the idea of technology in some areas of your life but it belongs nowhere near a book.

Not that I was ever one to inhabit a Library but I do find the idea of Libraries and their downward spiral into oblivion quite upsetting. In fact, what the hell is the point of a Library nowadays?

It’s sad. Big brick buildings flooded with books on topics from A – Z are becoming antiquated.

That’s going to be quite a garage sale when the final Library shuts down. The Library is the 21st Century version of the corner grocery stand. 

However releveant, I’ve gone off on a slight tangent.

I refuse to believe that a book can be read and enjoyed on a “Tablet” or an “E-Reader” or any such device that doesn’t have binding, pages to turn, and/or an inside flap. Don't even get me started on the lunacy of "reading" a "book" on some iPhone or Android or whatever the hell type of cell phone you own.

Society spends 8-10 hours of their day on some form of computer. Why go home and pick up another computer to “read” when you could sit and relax with an actual book? Half the pleasure of reading a book is the process of reading the book.

It's the comfort. It's the coffee by your side. It's the atmosphere. It's the picture on the cover. It's a temporary escape from reality.

It just doesn’t make sense.

Book’s are literary victories and should be displayed proudly in Your Trophy Case of Life. Not some piece of hardware.

I'm frustrated...and quite frankly I blame Costco

No comments: