June 8, 2011

The Culture of CrossFit


Anyone within an earshot of this blog knows there are several things (many things) I am definitive on. For example, I don’t believe in god, I support the Military like it’s my job, I hate Costco, I believe a book belongs on paper not a handheld computer and I hate the little green men on the side of the road that tell me to “Slow Down”.

Well we can now add one more item to that list of passions – I RFL CrossFit. (more on acronyms later)

I could go into detail and talk about the types of exercises you are put through. I could talk about the incredible shape and condition CrossFitters are in.

Or I could talk about The Culture of Crossfit.

It’s The Culture of CrossFit which drives its success and is the backbone to it’s undeniable appeal. It’s TCCF that makes putting yourself through hell actually fun. It’s TCCF that has you wanting to exercise after work as opposed to feeling like a mindless-robot on level 6 drowning amongst a sea of treadmills.

CrossFit is more than just exercise. It’s a way of life. It’s, as they say, Epic.

It’s a community. It’s acronyms. It’s nicknames. It’s a digital clock. It’s a white board. It’s Throwdowns. It’s the vacant warehouse space at the back of the parking lot transformed into a Facility of Inspiration.

It’s working out with people for 5 minutes and feeling like you’ve known them for 5 years.

It’s doing burpees next to someone who looks like they were cut from stone and the second you feel out’ve place you realize you’re all on the same team. You realize they aren’t looking down on you. You realize they are actually working with you and not against you. They push you to be your best and expect you to reciprocate.

It’s leaving the word “can’t” at the door.

It’s working out with people named “Big J”, “Rhabdo” and “The Warrior”.

It’s going to The Box and attacking your WOD RFF and RFL it and then returning for an epic 17 minute AMRAP the following day.

(Translation: It’s going to where you work out and completing your Workout of the Day Really Fucking Fast and Really Fucking Loving it and then returning for an epic 17 minute As Many Rounds As Possible the following day)

It’s watching grown men fight back tears when talking about opening up their own Box and thinking to yourself, “Wow. Where does my passion lie?”

It’s realizing pain is temporary but your health is everlasting.

Brazen Athletics in Fairfield, NJ puts it best…

“…the methods through which we train are direct reflections of the walls that stand against you in life.”