April 26, 2011

A Category 2 Wedding


By the end of this week I think it’s safe to say you will fall under one of the following categories:

Category 1 - I’m Sick of this Royal Wedding Shit
Category 2 – This Royal Wedding Stuff is Fascinating

As the title of my blog suggests, “Everyone is Entitled to My Opinion”  so I feel it’s important to state I’m a member of  Category 2. I’m willing to bet most of my readers out there are surprised by this fact since I tend to come off as negative. However, I’m actually a ball of positivity…what – not buyin’ that?

Here’s why I’m a Category 2 Supporter...

In a world consumed by things like the internet, computers and all things futuristic it’s nice to have a little old-fashioned Royalty. Carriages, Cavalry, Swords and Castles are much more interesting then Armored Limousines, Black SUV Motorcades, Handguns and Colonials.

In America, every girl growing up dreams of Fairytales and Princesses while boys want to be Knights and Kings. Unfortunately for them it’s fake. It’s in the movies. It’s the stuff you find animated and in Orlando or Anaheim.

Well it’s not that way in England. It’s the real deal and I find it extremely interesting.

Do I know all the history involved with The Royals? No. I don’t. And I don’t pretend to.

What I do know is that the idea of Kings and Queens and Royal Family lineage is fascinating as it relates to world history. On a lesser, more personal note, I also know I’m fascinated by Princess Di’ and what eventually happened to her in 1997.

My mother used to always tell me how much she admired Princess Di’. She always loved what she stood for and how she wouldn't allow The Royal Family to force their values on her. Therefore, I became a Princess Di’ supporter by association (PDSA). Naturally this increased my interest in The Royals and now this wedding.

It doesn’t hurt that watching Princess Di’ always reminds me of my mother – both in physical appearance and the emotional connection. Whenever I look at Princess Di's face I inevitably see my mother in her eyes. The night Princess Di’ was killed in a car accident I woke my mom up to tell her what happened. She was stunned and she cried. That always stuck with me and it’s a memory I think about quite often.

I didn’t envision this blog to lead where it lead but it did and maybe that’s why I fall under Category 2.

No comments: