April 19, 2011

A Society of Bubble Wrap

Photo from NY Daily News (D. Anschutz/Getty)

It’s as if the Blog Gods, otherwise known as The BG’s, came down and handed me a gift from, well, the Gods. The following article and topic is absolutely ridiculous and anyone who may disagree with me belongs in a commune in the outer reaches of Siberia.

NY Daily News
Classic kids games like kickball deemed unsafe by state in effort to increase summer camp regulation

Now your precious little Timmy or your dainty little Madeline can’t play Kickball, Wiffle Ball, Tag, Dodgeball and any other kids games because they’re deemed dangerous??

You can’t be serious. Please tell me you’re not serious. I’m talking to you…

“Bronx resident Kim Wainright….’Kids these days are kinda brutal so I can see those games being dangerous…I agree with it.” (NY Daily News)

Oh really. Do you, Kim? Let me guess – your 5 year old is the wuss on the playground? Or the out’ve shape one? Or the one that comes home complaining they were picked last?

Society is becoming a playground of bubble wrap. Fat kids in bubble wrap!

The playground is the first place in a child’s life where they realize where they stand. They realize how to “survive”. They figure out how they stack up both physically and mentally.

It provides an arena of competition. An arena that actually exists in real life. An arena with winners and, gasp, losers!!

Kids these days are going to grow up/are growing up in a cozy little womb of righteousness. This just in, parents who support this, life is competitive. Sometimes Timmy is going to come home crying ‘cause my son whacked him in the face with a dodgeball. That doesn’t mean you go and sue the schoolboard ‘cause your son can’t catch. And if you pick up the phone and have the audacity to call me and complain here is what I’ll say to you…

“I heard about that dodgeball game. I’m proud of him for playing well. I apologize if your son got hurt. Maybe next time he’ll get to be on his team so that wont happen again.”

Instead of calling the Principal and complaining, how about teaching him to come back next time and outsmart my son. Or figure out another way to defeat him. Or if all else fails, if you cant beat ‘em – join ‘em!

Novel ideas!! If that doesn’t work I’m sure you can take ‘em in the classroom. My imaginary son probably will be beatable in that arena.

Instead of running and crying for momma how about learning and adapting. Evolution style. Survival of the Fittest.

Anyone out there that agrees with this article is wrong. Flat wrong. This is not an opinion. This is fact. Sometimes in life you lose. Sometimes in life you get hurt. Sometimes in life you get dirty. Sometimes life sucks.

This is life. Deal with it. The earlier your kids realize this the better.

No comments: