December 22, 2010

Day 23 - Christmas Carolers

There is a particular part of the Christmas season that has always made me wonder the following,

“What in the hell are they thinking?”

“It’s” the kind’ve Christmas tradition that some people partake in that I’ve always looked at as rather embarrassing. I’ve really never understood “it.” I’ve never understood how someone could possibly have the mentality to go out and do such a thing.

Until now “it’s” only been an activity that I’ve witnessed on television. I’ve known people that have actually done this but had never seen “it” in person. That is, like I said, until now. Or until last week when the door bell rang at 9pm. I hesitantly went to the door expecting “it” to be some lunatic trying to get me to convert to their religion. I was wrong. “It” was something entirely different. “It” was the dreaded and embarrassing…

Christmas Carolers

Let me explain for those who have never been confronted by Christmas Carolers as I was. I now consider myself an expert on the matter. It’s the most uncomfortable and awkward situation you will ever come across in your life.

You have no chance to speak. You are not given an opportunity to greet them. You are not given the chance to say “No thanks.” You are not given any chance at doing anything other than standing there and waiting, no - hoping in all hell, that this ends as quickly as it began. I opened the door and got smacked straight in the jaw with a right hook packed with "Jingle Bells" and "Winter Wonderlands."

So picture the scene. I’m standing in my front porch with a look of utter discomfort as my wife is laughing hysterically in the comfort of our living room. I wish I could see the look on my face. I knew it was priceless. The entire time I was thinking the following:

“Holy hell, fellas, stop singing immediately. You are embarrassing yourselves….Wait, do they realize they’re embarrassing themselves? How are they not laughing at the look on my face right now? Sweet mercy please let this be their only song…oh no. It’s not their only song!...Get me out’ve here!!!! I’m so uncomfortable right now I could die…”

And then the carnage came to an end.

The dreaded Christmas Carolers consisted of 4 high school guys. I was fascinated by their mentality and their ability to knock on a stranger’s door and perform under Christmas pressure so I had to ask a question or two. Here’s how it went down...and it's important to note I wasn't being sarcastic with any of my comments. I was genuinely curious and at this point did not want to come across as being rude...

Me: Wow. Impressive fellas. Impressive.

Fellas: Thanks. Thank you. Merry Christmas.

Me: So hold on guys. Before you go anywhere. Are you just going up and down the block knocking on doors and singing for people?

Fellas: Yes, sir.

Me: Are you doing it for any organization or something?

Fellas: No. We’re just singing to spread holiday cheer.

Me: Wow. I mean good for you. Good stuff, fellas. Seriously good luck guys.

Fellas: Thank you, sir. Merry Chritmas.

And off they go. As I close the door and head back to the living room my wife is still laughing at the look on my face. I was amazed at what just took place. As much as I am anti-Christmas Carolers and find it embarrassing to simply stand outdoors and sing all happy and what not I was floored by these kids. These kids were impressive. 4 high school guys who were genuinely doing it to “spread holiday cheer.”


They weren’t working for a church or some other organization. They were 4 kids who simply wanted to do it so they did.

That, my friends, is impressive. My opinion changed that night. Not entirely but it did waver. These kids did spread cheer. I felt proud to live where I did. I felt proud that these kids lived in my area. I felt proud to be celebrating Christmas. They made me feel good.

Odd, right?

A few minutes later we heard the distant sounds of 4 high school kids spreading cheer a few doors down. Another family that hopefully felt the same way I did afterwards. Good job guys.

Happy Holidays

1 comment:

Matt D said...

On the off chance that this could happen again next year, I'd recommend moving.