December 8, 2010

Day 8 - Christmas Eve v. Christmas Day

Day 8 - Christmas Eve v. Christmas Day

We’re 8 day’s into the season and rapidly approaching the 3rd week when things really start getting hairy. I think now is a good time to explain to everyone out there why Christmas Eve is actually a better holiday than Christmas Day. The sooner everyone realizes this the sooner they have time to prepare and change their family traditions accordingly.

Raise your hand if you think I’m in the minority on this one? (Insert each one of you raising your hand)

My thoughts on Christmas Eve are not much different as to why I believe Thursday is the best day of the week. 1 word – Anticipation.

One thing that’s great about Friday and Saturday is that on Thursday that’s all you can think about. It consumes you…at least it does me. Note: if you so happen to be a stay-at-home-whomever than you probably don’t fully understand. Hence the reason Thursday is the greatest day of the week. Friday is ok and all good but the next thing you know its Saturday and you’re saying to yourself, “great. Tomorrow is Sunday and the weekend is over.” So why not just enjoy Thursday with all it’s innocence and promise for a great weekend?

Back to Christmas Eve. Do you see where I’m coming from?

Christmas Eve is one giant day of Anticipation. Combine that with lots of food, alcohol, and a few early presents here and there and you don’t get any better.

I can also discuss how for the second half of my life growing up my family actually made the controversial leap into opening up all our presents Christmas Eve night. I know I know. Blasphemy. Or is it? I think not. I think it made Christmas Eve even better if that was possible. Personally, I like the idea of being all dressed up and slightly tired with some glasses of red wine in me and opening presents better than waking up at the crack of dawn, all groggy and the sun blinding me while opening presents.

Cue every parent disagreeing with me…

I know I know. I fully understand the idea of the kids waking up and running to the tree in all their glory. Their own personal anticipation. I get it. And I fully agree with that. When I have kids that will happen and I’ll love it. But until then I can look back on the joys of opening up presents next to a fireplace (although my house growing up didn’t have one) at nighttime and slightly tired. The next morning getting to sleep in and wake up when I please with a stack of gifts at my disposal to do with as I please.

For the record, I’ll be the dad who dresses up as Santa Claus and accidentally gets caught putting presents under the tree so don’t go thinking I’m all bah humbug.

Happy Holidays

2 comments:

KCheb said...

I for one 100% agree with you Greco. In fact - Anticipation is my favorite emotion.

There is nothing like being next in line, or knowing that tomorrow is going to be AWESOME.

Matt D said...

For the same reasons as you offer, Sunday is by a large margin the worst day of the week. Hands Down (even with the NFL, etc.).