December 7, 2010

Day 7 - The Christmas Card

Day – 7 The Christmas Card

Now that we’ve crept into the second week of December we should all brace ourselves for the onslaught of mail that is The Christmas Card. The Christmas Card, to me, is a lot like Facebook in that it’s simply a forum to show people your life. Ultimately it’s all about you.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a big proponent of The Christmas Card. And as I have chronicled in this blog before, I caved into the pressure that is Facebook a short while ago.

So yes I do support The Christmas Card but I do find it entertaining to see the manner at which people go about The Card. For all intents and purposes I’m going to compare The Christmas Card to the Facebook Profile Pic. And as such I think the same rules should apply.

Rule #1 – I know you love your pet. And don’t get me wrong you have a great dog. Honest. But if you must include your pet than include your pet as well as you. Your dog is not wishing me a Merry Christmas. You are.

Rule #1A – While we’re at it. Please take the antlers off the poor animal.

Rule #2 – Yes. I know. We all know. Your child is adorable. But your infant is not wishing us a Merry Christmas. You are! Family photo’s if you must, please. At least one parent should be present.

Rule #2A – Well done. Ok fine so you went a little overboard paying for the professional photographer but at least it’s a family shot. But did you really put that sweater on your son? And that dress on your daughter? She looks like a candy cane and he looks like a mini-Clark Griswold. There had to have been better options, no?

Rule #3 – Unlike Facebook where basically anything other than you is not allowed you are allowed a photo of the exterior of your home in all its decorated-glory to be the picture. It’s like a variation of the store-bought picturesque card you are supplanting.

Rule #4 – The classic store-bought card suffices well.
Rule #5 - Never should you ever sign the card, for example, "Love, Bobby, Hillary and Rover!" Keep the animals out've the signature for the love all things Merry.

In summation, please try to adhere to the above rules. I recognize Rule #4 is the more expensive option versus a photo from Snapfish, Shutterfly or wherever so if you must go that route than please pay attention to the rules. If you have failed this year I understand and you’re forgiven. Next year you know better.

Happy Holidays

1 comment:

Carter said...

I disagree with rule #5. I know Stella loves me, so it is ok for her to say so in your card to me!